Every 3 to 6 months I get a huge urge, to purge, the things that are in my life. With an effort to live a more simplictic life, I try my best to reduce any clutter that I see forming in my home.
With Ramadan around the corner, I feel the urge more intensely. Wanting to remove anything that holds no purpose, in my home or life, feels like removing unnecessary burden.
Usually the act of decluttering fills us with dread, because of the sheer amount of ‘stuff’ we possess. But once you remove such useless things out of your lives, you will feel so much lighter and freed from visual and spiritual clutter.
Here are 50 Things to Get Rid of Right Now, with little or no effort.
- Pens/markers or any stationary tools that do not work.
- Takeout menus clogging up drawers. Take a pic, go digital, menus can be found online.
- Old reciepts, if it’s past the exchange/return date get rid of it.
- Old makeup
- Makeup you don’t use
- Toiletries you won’t use
- Old batteries, invest in reusable ones.
- Spare screws. that you don’t know where they came from, or where they ought to go.
- Old magazines/ newspaper.
- Clothes that don’t fit.
- Shoes that don’t fit.
- Lonely socks.
- Kids school/ art work, pic your fave, and take pics of others if you must then recycle the rest while kids are asleep.
- Old wires, chargers, phones
- Old cameras
- Old toothbrush
- Any beauty samples that have expired
- Expired Eye solution, contact lenses
- Expired medicine
- Old spices you don’t use.
- Expired condiments
- Tupperware with no lids
- Any appliance that doesn’t work
- Any appliance that you haven’t used in a year
- Unwanted gifts taking up unwanted space
- Kid’s toys they’ve grown out of
- Kid’s clothes.
- Excess hangers.
- Old bulbs.
- Old warranties.
- Manuals for appliances
- Old car insurance
- Old bills
- Old notebooks
- Old school notes
- Old underwear
- Broken or unused sunglasses
- Broken jewelry you won’t ever fix
- Excess kitchen utensils knives, spoons, etc
- Excess glasses mugs
- Ugly clothes you bought on sale.
- Any tea you just won’t drink
- Shoes that hurt
- Old nail polish
- Donate any tacky souvenirs
- Delete any unnecessary apps
- Get rid of anything that doesn’t need to be in your handbag, car, wallet
- Old towels / sheets
- Excess pillows/ duvet
- Any furniture that is not serving a purpose eg stool, coffee table, desk.
Many of the things listed above can be done in less than a minute. What things can you get rid of today? And what things will you not allow to come back into your life? Let me know in the comments.
Disclaimer: Majority of the things above can be sold, donated, handed down to someone who needs it, recycled or repurposed. All of us, can get rid of something in our homes. The lesson is not to buy or promote disposable lifestyle, that end in landfill. That collective clutter, is harder to get rid off. Be conscious of what you buy and dispose of responsibly. From that list of 50 items which will you stop buying?